My life is an eclectic mix of my writing/photography career and FAMILY. I love interviewing people, especially artists and entrepreneurs. I find other humans fascinating and am inspired as I sit with them and experience the paths they’ve traveled. I have several photography mentors who feed my love for the craft.
I am: married to the best guy in the world, Keith Welch; have three beautiful adult daughters, Kate, Lauren and Melissa; an amazing sister, Wendy; hard-working RatRod brother, Chip; avid Clemson Tiger/Air Force/Grill Master son-in-law, Geoff; Kate’s dear, dear, master photographer/IT dude, Vincent; the most beautiful, talented and delightful niece, Brooke; and 20-month-old granddaughter, Alexandra (AJ) who is the light of my life. Not to leave off the most amazing mom, Maxine Ramey, the most giving, loving and caring friend I’ve ever had.
I foster rescue pups and do what I can to bless those who are in need whether human or canine. We will be fostering with 4 Paws Animal Rescue this week! Excited!
In my work life, this is what I do: I am a freelance writer and photographer for Virginia-and Hampton Roads-based print publications. I have contributed to leadership publications as a writer and editor.
And this is what I do for fun: spend time with my amazing family — especially with my granddaughter, Alexandra, who I hope to be an example for as my grandma, Claryce Petty, was for me. And travel, travel, travel!
My favorite writer is: whoever I am obsessed with at the moment: Anthony Doerr can’t write enough for me right now. I am always simultaneously reading one nonfiction and one fiction book. Let’s get real: I have about 30 nonfiction books in various states of completion.
When I have time for myself, I especially like to read and walk my pups: seven-year-old Grace (a golden mix who is my heart dog) and one-year-old Tucker (a black lab/great dane mix and a piece of work).
My favorite travel destination is Bangalore, India and Tulum, Mexico (can’t choose). Sedona, Arizona (everyone should experience a Pink Jeep Tour on the Broken Arrow Trail) and San Francisco are also fabulous! My next travel goal is Greece.
Three people I most admire are:
1) My mother, Maxine Ramey, for her giving and nurturing spirit I could never measure up to her, but I continue to try.
2) My Grandmother, Claryce Petty, who lived to be 100 and never gave up on me. She was my rock and constant supporter. She is the one who made my mom and my Aunt Pug, the godly and loving women they are.
3) My husband, Keith Welch, who is my home and is the reason I am a working writer.
On my bucket list, I sure would like to:
1) Build a dream cabin on our Smith Mountain Lake property.
2) Submit one of my novels written for National Novel Writing Months over the past six years for publication.
3) Have enough resources to live in a large urban center (with only public transportation and walking) for about a month at a time then return to suburbia to recuperate before heading back into the fray.
I hope you enjoy my space here and maybe learn a little something along the way,